What is an aromatherapy massage?
Aromatherapy massage is a massage using therapeutic grade essential oils. Massage techniques in combination with aromatherapy help to achieve 100% results in each case.
During each session, the feet, hands and head are surely worked out, in other words, every centimeter of the body from the foot to the head. The combination of ethers is selected here and now, depending on your overall emotional state. For example, today a mixture of essential oils-balance may work, and tomorrow for the same person you will need a wild orange with peppermint. Starting work with the body, work with the human energy begins and a clear understanding of what ether is needed comes.
What are the benefits of aromatherapy massage?
Such a massage has quite a few advantages:
- relaxing effect;
- stress relief, both psychological and physical;
- headache relief;
- anti-cellulite effect;
- general well-being;
- deep sleep and others.
What are massage oils
To make the massage procedure as comfortable as possible for a person, the master uses a special substance — massage oil. It provides glide on the skin and significantly reduces the risk of hematomas. In addition, aromatic oils are often added to the composition of this substance, each of which has a unique effect on the human body. They are able to provide a relaxing effect, relieve head and muscle pain, improve blood circulation and relieve insomnia.
Can you use essential oils for massages?
Aroma massage has four advantages over a simple massage — it is the ease and speed of tissue heating; effects on the central nervous system; pharmacological enrichment of massage movements; extension of the massage effect for 40-90 minutes.
In addition, during the aroma massage there is an additional bioenergetic contact between the hands of the massage therapist and the patient. The duration of the procedure, calm atmosphere, aromas of oils in the air, pleasant, slow, relaxing movements lead to the liberation of the patient’s body and the possibility of self-regulation.
The aroma massage does not need strong and deep effects on the tissues, so soft circular movements and contact massage are usually used.
Precautions for organic massage oil
The use of essential oils must be approached with extreme caution. It is necessary to strictly observe the recommended concentrations both in the manufacture of cosmetics at home, and when taken orally. It is also necessary to remember that when exposed to the skin in its pure form, essential oils can cause burns, irritation, and allergies.
Massage oils to avoid when pregnant
Blood pressure rises during pregnancy, so it is not recommended to deliberately cause an increase in blood pressure, since this can be detrimental to the mother and baby, creating obstacles for blood flow to the placenta. These oils are:
- White thyme;
- Hyssop (blue hypericum);
- Black pepper;
- Salvia officinalis.
Some aroma oils for massage inhibit or stimulate the production of estrogen, or have a hormonal effect and can cause the formation of breast milk, disrupting the natural rhythm of pregnancy and confusing the body. These oils are:
- Kaeput tree;
List of essential oils that cause allergies
If there is an allergy to the essential oil, from the many existing species, the body may respond with the appearance of pathological symptoms to any one allergen. All components in the concentrates are different, and the task of the allergist is to find out what exactly caused the ailment. To do this, pay attention to the features of the course of the disease when using one of the following types of oil:
- Coconut oil;
- Flax oil;
- Black cumin oil;
- Popular Johnsons Baby Oil.
Base oils for massage by skin type
For all skin types, these oils are suitable: olive, sesame, coconut, mona, jojoba.
Coconut and avocado are great for dry skin. It should be noted that avocado oil is less common for these purposes due to its high cost, compared to others. However, it will take a little massage. Avocado is rich in vitamins A, B, D, E. It is considered ideal for all types of massage, including the face. In massage mixtures, it is well combined in a 1: 1 ratio with almond, apricot, peach and grape seed oil, Shea (karite) oils.
For thin and sensitive skin, it is better to focus on almond, apricot or macadamia nut oil. Although almond oil is considered universal and is suitable for all skin types, it is especially suitable for those whose skin needs softening and nourishment from the inside. It is easily absorbed and distributed over the surface, restores elasticity and eliminates dryness. Apricot oil has similar characteristics. And its regular use will additionally improve the firmness and elasticity of the skin. Olive oil is also great for dry, sensitive skin.
For oily and problematic skin, it is better to choose a light grape seed, supplementing it with hazelnut, jojoba, sesame or hemp oil.
It must be said separately about jojoba oil. This is a unique chemical composition oil that is different from others. Jojoba oil is a natural liquid wax. It is suitable for caring for everything: starting from eyelashes, ending with nails. During massage, it does not leave a greasy sheen, moisturizes and softens the skin well, is perfect even for teenage, problem skin.
What essential oils are good for massage
- Arnica massage oil is an excellent tonic care for an active lifestyle, prepares muscles for physical activity, improves microcirculation
- Weleda oils are rich in valuable vitamins, minerals, nutrients, unsaturated fatty acids and are created specifically for the different needs of our skin.
- Ginger oil for lymphatic drainage. The essence of this technique is to accelerate lymph flow and promote lymph through the lymph nodes. Due to the faster movement of the lymph, congestion, edema are eliminated, and the body is also cleansed of toxins. That is, the lymphatic system begins to work more efficiently. If the effect of essential oils is added to such a massage, then the effect of the massage itself is greatly enhanced.
- Ayurvedic massage oil. The purpose of this massage is not only physical, but also spiritual relaxation and peace. This means that during an Ayurvedic massage a person completely relaxes and is in a state of emotional and mental peace, and it is precisely the balanced nervous system that is the key to physical health.
- Ylang-ylang massage oil is a universal care product. It will help improve the quality of skin, hair and nails, improve mood and relieve fatigue.
- The active substances of the Lavender massage oil have a beneficial effect on the emotional state of a person, suppress aggression, cope with depression, restore vitality and mood.
- Jojoba massage oil. The oily substance is literally saturated with vitamin E, which determines its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and regenerative properties. In addition, it has excellent adsorption properties, lightweight, non-greasy structure. This is a universal skin care product of any type.
- Almond oil for massage is a real find for those who want to preserve the youth and beauty of the body. Its gentle effect gives the skin a delicate, velvety appearance. It is suitable for any type of skin and is often used in medicine and cosmetology. It is very beneficial for the kidneys, heart and eyesight. It should be noted that it does not cause allergic reactions. Oil has calming and regenerating properties.
- Eucalyptus massage oil is a powerful oil. Its antiseptic properties are even superior to medications such as streptomycin and penicillin. Therefore, eucalyptus oil is used in the prevention of viral and infectious diseases, as well as for inhalation and rubbing the chest with diseases of the throat and bronchi.
- Hyssop massage oil. It has analgesic, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, diuretic and antiparasitic effects. It heals wounds well, eliminates cough and hyperhidrosis.
- Peppermint massage oil. The refreshing smell and amazing properties of this product are used to combat oily skin problems, and its concentration helps to eliminate acne of any nature — from inflammatory to herpes.
How to choose the best massage oil depending on your goals
There are four types of skin: oily, dry, normal, combination.
Owners of the normal type, as a rule, do not suffer from acne and irritation. They can use any kind of oil, with the exception of those that contain a high level of comedogenicity (the ability to clog pores).
The combined type is the most common. For this type, the skin of the cheeks, neck, around the temples and around the eyes is usually dry or normal, and the rest of the surface is oily. Cheeks may peel off, and the T-zone will suffer from black dots. In this regard, care is complicated.
With a dry type, a feeling of tightness, irritation may not leave, peeling, itching may appear. In order to avoid such troubles, it is necessary to moisturize it.
The fatty type is characterized by excessive work of the sebaceous glands. The surface has an unhealthy shine. If you avoid moisturizing while caring for such a skin, then the sebaceous glands will work even more actively. To the surprise of many, oils help in such cases. They can remove pollution from pores, break down sebum.
Where can i find massage oils
You can buy essential oils at any cosmetic store. But there is a possibility that here you will come across low-quality products or even a crude fake.
In order to maintain health and get full pleasure from massage, we recommend buying such products only in pharmacies.
How to make massage oils at home
In order for you to get a good massage oil, it is not enough just to mix the components of this product. For 10-15 milliliters of base oil, add no more than 10 drops of essential oils. Remember to warm the base oil to room temperature before mixing. If after massage you still have massage oil, then store it tightly closed in the refrigerator.
How to mix essential oils for massage: recipes for men and women
There are two ways to make oil for massage at home:
- pour the base into the bowl, then add the essential oil — a couple of drops, infusion on herbs and other additional ingredients as desired. Then mix everything, pour into a clean bottle of dark color.
- We immediately take the container in which our massage oil will be stored. We pour the base, herbal tincture, essential oil, a few drops of aloe vera juice and vitamin E. Hermetically close and shake a couple of times.
Here are some massage oil recipes:
- Body tonic oil. We will need these oils: almonds 125 ml, 10 drops of eucalyptus, peppermint, basil, as well as 5 tbsp. l lemon and 2 tbsp. l grape. Close the lid, shake only immediately before use. When your strength is low, this mixture will give you energy, also relieve headaches and help your nose breathe freely if you have a runny nose.
- Anti-cellulite massage oil. As a basis, we take almond or olive oil — 120 ml, 3 drops of grapefruit and lemon fat, also add 10 drops of shea butter, cypress and vetiver — 2 drops and 1 drop of juniper and geranium. Apply the mixture to areas that are problematic massage movements of the hands twice a day. Do not wash off the residuals, but it’s better to get wet with a paper towel.
- To relieve muscle pain and physical fatigue, mix rosemary — 5 drops, lavender — 6, black pepper oil — 4 and 30 ml of base oil;
- To relieve stress. You experience insomnia and stress, you need neroli oil — 5 drops, chamomile — 3 drops, lavender — 5 and 30 ml of base.
- For sensual massages. We use a mixture of 6 drops of sandalwood oil, 4 — sage, 5 — pink or jasmine and 30 ml of base.
Want to know more about massage? Understanding the basics and massage techniques comprehensively, you can professionally help your loved ones by relaxing them. To do this, I recommend to study at the Ecole massage school.